Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Light in the Darkness

There's something I miss about being with my mom.

I was up a few nights ago studying for my exam in the dining room - the lone lamp in a dark sleeping house. My mom brushed past me, gently carrying Kiki to the kitchen counter to let him drink from the faucet. I put my pencil down and got up to see what was going on.

Kiki is not your normal house cat. He has an engaging personality that matched the mischievous twinkle in his eyes. He's always wants to be around humans and it showed over the years - from sleeping like a human to even turning doorknobs (smart cat). Nothing truly scared him, especially mysterious hiding spots and all animals, big and small. To him, life was about having fun, exploring different places and being with those you love. It was so simple.

But one visit to the veterinarian and one phone call changed all that. And all we could do was make him comfortable for what time was left.

I stood by the edge of the counter as my mom turned on the light and opened the faucet. He wouldn't move, much unlike himself weeks ago. She stood behind him, her comforting arm around him. "Come on now," she said softly. "Drink some water."

Seconds passed. Minutes passed. Neither one moving, both just silently watching the steady stream of drops descend into the sink. Finally, my mom gently beckoned him forward. Step by step, he inched forward and slowly turned his head to sip the sparking tap. My mom motioned for me to join them, and we all stood together in the the dimly-lit kitchen.

My mom grew up caring for other living things - animals and humans alike. "Everyone deserves a healthy life," she would say, "and living it to the fullest." My sister and I grew up watching her raise us and keeping a close eye on the those who meant the most to her.

Even though we grow up and get busy, I somehow found this time spent with mom more than enough to make up for the time lost. Also more than enough to appreciate what she has done for our family, especially for me and my sister.

We may go alone, lost in our own darkness, but never straying too far from the light that show us where we are and how far we have come.

And those who leave that light on for us.

---

Updated Saturday, April 12

My mom had to take Kiki to the vet this morning to finally stop his quiet suffering. It was for the best, though we will miss him.

On a related note, here is a video that somehow ties things together - for anyone, any age.











I will miss him.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'll miss Kiki too. :[

Jacob said...

sorry about the loss bro.

Post a Comment